I just got a ticket, what should I do now?

Always be polite to the officer and NEVER admit any wrongdoing. After you receive a ticket contact Cutler Law Office to discuss your options. Keep in mind, if you fail to respond to the ticket within 15 days, the court will find your infraction committed and assess the full penalty.

I did not respond within 15 days, what can I do now?

If you failed to respond within 15 days, it is very likely that your infraction has been found committed and the full penalty assessed. If you did not respond within 15 days, contact us immediately. A motion to vacate the finding of committed and reset a contested hearing date will be filed.

Do you handle traffic tickets for Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers (CDL)?

YES! If you have a CDL it is vital that you contact an attorney as soon as possible. A CDL is governed by Federal Law. Certain violations are considered “serious traffic violations” for CDL drivers. If you commit 2 or more serious traffic offenses within a 3-year period, your CDL qualifications will be disqualified for 60 days. If you commit 3 serious traffic offenses your CDL qualifications will be disqualified for 120 days. If you have a CDL and have received a serious traffic offense you may lose the ability to work for 60 or 120 days. For this reason, it is extremely important to keep all serious traffic offenses off your record.

Why shouldn’t I just pay my ticket?

If you pay your ticket, you are admitting guilt and liability. You have several options available, however, just paying the ticket is the worst decision. If you admit guilt, the infraction will appear on your driving record, your employer will be able to see the infraction, your insurance company will increase your rates and most importantly, it can have an impact on your employment.

I want to contest a ticket, but I know I did it, should I still contest?

Yes! If you fail to respond within 15 days you lose the right to challenge the infraction. In a traffic matter, the prosecutor bears the burden of proving to the court that you did in fact commit the infraction. You will not be asked to lie to the court and most likely will not testify. However, if the prosecutor fails to prove its case, then your ticket will be dismissed. You lose nothing by contesting.

Do I need an attorney to represent me with my ticket?

It is not mandatory to have an attorney represent you. Having an attorney gives you a “leg up” as there are numerous traffic specific procedural rules. When an officer or the prosecutor fail to follow these rules, it may help in getting your infraction dismissed. Hiring an attorney saves you time and effort: you will not need to request discovery, you will not need to request a hearing, you will not have to wait in line, communicate with the prosecutor, prepare an argument, request witnesses or appear in court.

Do I need to appear at the court hearing?

Most likely no. Since a traffic ticket is a civil matter, your presence is not required if your attorney is present. Rarely, it will be necessary for you to appear. We make every effort to resolve traffic infractions without having you come to court. We understand that you are busy and may not have the time to sit in court for hours. If it is beneficial to have you testify, we look for alternatives to appearing in court like appearing by phone or writing a declaration.

Does Cutler Law Office represent clients all over the state of Washington?

Cutler Law Office handles traffic infractions for all of Eastern Washington, including, but not limited to: Whitman County, Spokane County, Grant County, Franklin County, Lincoln County, Adams/Ritzville County, etc.

What are your fees?

Please contact us for an immediate response to fees and options. Fees vary depending on if you have a Commercial Driver’s License or not. Additionally, fees vary depending on the county you received your ticket. Traffic Infractions are handled on a flat fee rate and there is no hourly rate.

What are my options when I get an infraction?

You have several options: Contest, mitigate, or amend. Of course, our goal is to dismiss you ticket. However, we do not and cannot guarantee any result. We are better able to discuss options with you after we receive a police report. Our experienced attorney will go out of their way to get you the best resolution and minimize any potential impact on your driver’s license, employment or insurance rates.

How do I hire you?

You may contact us by phone, fax, email, submitting the contact us form or stopping by our office. If you choose to hire us, you will need to sign a contract/fee agreement. This can be done in person or via email/fax. For our contact information and email form you may visit our Contact Page.